<< | Page list | >>
Documentation about the LyX user directory
The user directory holds local settings and additional/locally modified files used by LyX. If you want to add layout files, modules, etc., this is the place to put them (unless you are a system administrator). Note that files in the user directory will take precedence over files in the global system directory, so you can "overwrite" global settings by placing modified versions of a file here.
The location of the LyX user directory depends upon the system LyX is installed on. Some common locations are below.
- Linux and other Unix-like systems: usually found at
~ is your home directory.
- Mac OS X:
- Windows Vista / Windows 7: usually at
C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\lyx<VERSION>\ (note: this is if you installed LyX for all users)
- Windows 2000/XP: usually at
C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\lyx<VERSION>\
- Windows 95/98/ME:
C:\Program Files\lyx\Resources\lyx\ (note: needs to be confirmed - this looks a bit like the SystemDir)
The Help→About LyX dialog contains information about where your user directory is:
The user directory can principally contain the same subdirectories and files as the system directory, but in practice it usually contains only a subset. If a specific subdirectory or file is missing, you can manually add it (but not all make sense).
It can contain the following subdirectories:
- files defining KeyboardShortcuts
- stock graphics
- configuration file for the "call" lyx function (cf. this explanation)
- local LyX manuals, if you feel like it
- example documents for various text classes
- fonts needed by LyX (e.g. to display math)
- icons and other images needed by the User Interface
- keyboard maps (see sec. 4.2 of the Customization manual)
- modified and additional layout files and modules (see Concepts)
- the lyx2lyx scripts that converts/reverts between different versions of LyX. Only useful if you hack on these scripts.
- various (python) helper scripts used by LyX. Only useful if you hack on these scripts.
- user template files (set templates path in Tools→Preferences→Paths to access these with File→New from Template)
- nonsensical in the user directory
- modified user interface (menu and toolbar) definition files
and the following files:
- a list of all bibtex databases found by the TeX search interface (displayed in Tools→TeX Information)
- a list of all bibtex style files found by the TeX search interface (displayed in Tools→TeX Information)
- a list of all LaTeX classes found by the TeX search interface (displayed in Tools→TeX Information)
- a log file documenting the latest reconfiguration of LyX.
- modified specifications for the encodings supported by LyX
- local specifications for the external inset (cf. Insert→File→External Material)
- modified specifications for the languages supported by LyX
- a list of all the installed modules (see Concepts)
- default preferences as determined by the configuration.
- a list containing those natively supported packages that are installed on the current system.
- the actual preferences as set in Tools→Preferences
- various session informations (list of recently used files, bookmarks, etc.)
- a list of all LaTeX style files found by the TeX search interface (displayed in Tools→TeX Information)
- modified information for the display of math characters/symbols
- a list containing those natively supported document classes that are installed on the current system.
- a modified list of the supported unicode characters, defining how they should be handled by LyX