<< | Page list | >>
How to set up LyX under Windows to use it for French Canadian
- Install LyX for Windows
- In the Windows installer don't forget to select to install the spell checker for "Franšais (Canada)".
The Spell-checker for French Canadien uses the pre-1990 French writing rules because this is still most commonly used in Canada. If you want to use the actual French writing
- Copy the 2 French dictionary files (named fr_FR.xxx) you find in LyX's installation subfolder ~\Resources\dicts to another folder.
- Rename the 2 files to fr_CA.xxx and copy them back to their original folder (overwriting there the existing fr_CA files)
Testing the Installation
- Run LyX and press Ctrl+N to open a new document. Write a few words in French, set the document language to "French (Canada)" and press Ctrl+R.
A PDF viewer program should be opened; check that it displays the text correctly.
- Now press F7 to spell-check your document.